We are cooperating with practitioners from various fields and decision-makers at different levels in projects and initiatives. Our aim is to address real-world challenges with scientific rigour. Together with stakeholders, we are trying to find solutions to pressing problems. We then partner with local and regional decision-makers to make the necessary changes happen.
Since 2006, we have been working in partnership with the Laboratory of Rural Studies ‘Sismondi’, a non-profit association fostering the diffusion of knowledge and experiences related to agricultural, rural and environmental activities. More specifically:
- We collaborate with public and private organisations, farmers, cooperatives and associations, local and regional governments, advisors, and citizens. This allows us to promote innovation, support animation of socio-economic activities in rural areas, as well as back governance, territorial planning and policy implementation.
- We are also involved in capacity-building activities to provide actors with the skills needed to follow rural adaptation paths.
- We organise academic and cultural activities, such as conferences, lectures, debates, seminars, documentary screenings and more, to reach a wider audience and increase their understanding of the interactions between rural areas and society.
- We publicly disseminate results of joint work and knowledge gathered via bulletins, seminars, conference proceedings, scientific publications and policy briefs.
Illustrative examples of our work
- 10+ year participation as a partner in the International Master of Science in Rural Development (IMRD) where multi-disciplinary training through a dialogue with different stakeholders is provided and annual IMRD summer schools are organised.
- Initiators of the networks RIVES (Sustainability Research in Viticulture and Oenology)
- Collaboration with the Tuscan Region regarding B2B events ‘Buy Wine’ aimed at international buyers. The joint work is also to elaborate new policy tools that incentivise sustainable wine production.
- Collaboration with AICARE – Italian Agency for Responsible and Ethical Countryside and Agriculture. Working with various local actors (e.g. public administrations, agricultural organisations, farms, social cooperatives) we jointly develop social farming projects.
- Collaboration with Orti Etici – a social farming project in Pisa.
- Collaboration with Coldiretti – a major organisation representing agricultural entrepreneurs at national and European level.
- Cooperation with the Tuscan regional agency on short supply chains and alternative food networks.
- Collaboration with municipalities of Pisa and Lucca to develop local food policies.
- Work with the members of LuccaBioDinamica related to biodynamic wine production and marketing strategies.
- Collaboration with the wine sector on sustainability research in Viticulture and Oenology.
In all our work, we follow the principles of Responsible Research and Innovation.